THE SPICE (EGYPTIAN) BAZAAR
It is claimed that the name of this bazaar was Makro Envalos, as it is reported that there used to be a bazaar in Byzantine time in the present place of the Spice Bazaar.
The Egyptian Bazaar is in an “L” shaped structure and is located to the west of the New Mosque. A year after the mosque was finished in 1664. The bazaar is located next to the New Camli and Çiçek Bazaar in Eminönü, one of the oldest settlement areas of Istanbul, which witnessed three great civilizations. The Bazaar, which is one of the historical bazaars of Istanbul, was built by Hatice Turhan Sultan, the mother of the Ottoman Sultan Mehmet IV. Contrary to the bazaars of the period, rubble stone, cut stone and brick were used in construction. The construction started in 1660 by the architect Kas?m A?a and completed in 1664 by architects Hassa Bas and Mustafa A?a.
The reason why the bazaar is referred to as the Egyptian Bazaar is the taxation from Cairo. This name began to be used after the 18th century; The bazaar was also mentioned before with the names of the Valide Bazaar and the New Bazaar. The bazaar has a total of six gates. The section at the Haseki Gate has a two-storey plan and the upper floors have also been used as court chambers. In this court sections the problems between the trades and the people and between the tradesmen of the bazaar were tried to be solved.
The area where the long and short arms of the bazaar are connected is called the “prayer square”. There is a mansion of prayer here. This part, planned as a balcony with bars, is one of the dazzling places of the bazaar. An officer calls out in this square, praying and asking them to see good works
In the Spice Bazaar, it used to be sold not only spices, but all kinds of medicines. There were also some signs in places where shops could be seen. Many of the drugs were made by herbalists using the book “Nüzhetül Fi Tercüme-Afiyet”. Today, there are many different shops in the bazaar, such as jewelers, transporters, spice shops and souvenir shops.
The bazaar survived two major fires, 1691 and 1940. The bazaar, which suffered considerable damage during these fires, took its final shape in 1940 with the restoration of the Istanbul Municipality.
The bazaar, which is smaller than the Grand Bazaar as its surface area, is one of the places that especially foreign tourists like. Throughout its history, the Egyptian Bazaar, which is a giant market with hundreds of varieties of herbs and hundreds of spices, has been continuing to heal people for 300 years.